The Living Water of God
We can become very depressed and discouraged when considering the daily news. There are so many bad things happening, so much evil. In the midst of this, God speaks to us of a new heaven and a new earth. The scripture tells that God is with us, living with us.
What message will we hear? Some will let the message of God be drowned by the noise of wrong doing. Others will be led by the still waters and hear the voice of God. God is not the author of confusion, but the architect of that which is new for our lives.
Evil has not gone away. We live in the midst of people of “unclean lips” as Isaiah wrote. Revelation 21 reminds us that God dwells with us. Through God the evil can be overcome. The message of evil which says, “It’s everyone for himself/herself,” is not the message of God. God’s message to us is “Love one another.” There is much more to God’s way than the “bottom line” of business.
Again, we are reminded that God is the Alpha and the Omega. At the moment it seems wrong doing is prevailing. But there will be a new city, which evil cannot enter. We must be patient, but this is not enough. In the midst of evil, we must listen and hear that still small voice of God. We must work for that which is better. We must not lose hope. We grieve at times now, but we have the Comforter with us. The future is God’s.
—Dr. Robert Craig
- Why do we have suffering and pain when God is with us?
- The scripture says that “without a vision the people perish.” How do we gain a vision? How does the vision, or the expectation which we have, determine what we do?
- To whom does God promise the “living water” without price? What is meant by “living water”?
- What assurance do we find in Revelation 21:6 that our faith in God will not be in vain?
How Do I Act?
- Pray that we may keep our eyes on the prize, that we may continue on the road to the new Jerusalem where the gates are never shut to those who believe in Jesus.
- Select a mission project and make a special offering. Send messages of hope to the people who serve, assuring that they are supported by your daily prayers. For more information, contact the Mission Ministry Team.
- Take your place as a volunteer in some organization which cares for people in great need. If you are having trouble finding an organization, talk to your pastor. They may have some suggestions.
- Take a serious look at the way you have spent your money over the past year to determine if your personal choices are helping to build a new Jerusalem. If you need help getting organized, look into the resource The Three Rules.