Robert Donnell Presbytery met September 17, 2022, at the Goosepond Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Scottsboro, AL. Vice-Moderator Rev. Matthew Ingram called the meeting to order, and the Rev. Dr. Pam Phillips-Burk prayed the constituting prayer. Rev. Ingram was elected as Moderator and Rev. Christy Ashton was elected Vice-Moderator. Licentiate Angela Anderson gave a brief devotion. Denomination representatives spoke – Rev. Dr. Joe Butler, Vice-Moderator of the General Assembly; Rev. Dr. Jody Hill, President of Memphis Theological Seminary, and Rev. Dr. Pam Phillips-Burk, Ministry Council of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Highlights include:
- The Rev. Earl Goodwin was elected as interim treasurer until it is determined whether current treasurer Frances Dawson will be able to return to her duties following recovery from her illness.
- Goodwin will continue to serve a Stated Clerk for the same reason.
- Heard a report from the commission to close Big Cove Cumberland Presbyterian church. The commission will stay active until all property is sold or deeded to other entities.
- Licentiate Angela Anderson was approved for ordination.
- Elder Lorna Light was approved to serve the Sacrament of Holy Communion at the Walnut Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church for another year.
- Presbytery concluded with a worship service which included the ordination of Licentiate Angela Anderson. The Rev. Cardelia Howell-Diamond was the preacher. The Rev. Pam Phillips-Burk served as liturgist and gave the statement on ordination, Rev. Brad Hall asked the constitutional questions, Rev. Howell-Diamond offered the prayer of ordination and invited all ordained ministers and elders to participate in the laying on of hands, Rev. Christy Ashton presented the symbols of ordination to Rev. Anderson (certificate given by the presbytery), pastoral stole (given by the Committee on the Ministry), bible (given by Christ Presbyterian Church), and a travel communion set (given by the Pastoral Development Ministry Team).
- Worship also included the Legacy of Ministry recognition and celebration of two ministers’ ordination and retirement – the Rev. Toy Brindley and the Rev. Richard Hughes
- Robert Donnell Presbytery will meet March 18, 2023 at the Stevenson Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Stevenson, Alabama.