Set Them Free
Working Together to End Modern-day Slavery
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to Set The Oppressed Free” – Jesus (Luke 4:14-21)
Set Them Free was a multi-year focus for Cumberland Presbyterian Women’s Ministry and was kicked off during the 2012 Convention. The video above shows where we’ve been and what we’ve done in the fight again human trafficking.
Set Them Free was designed to:
- To raise Awareness of the reality of slavery in the 21st century.
- To Advocate for state and national laws against human trafficking in America as well as laws that are comprehensive and victim-centered.
- To provide a way for people of faith to put words and prayers into Action by raising funds to help stop human trafficking and provide hope and healing for victims.
What Is Human Trafficking?
Human Trafficking is a form of modern-day slavery where people profit from the control and exploitation of others. As defined under U.S. Federal law, victims of human trafficking include children involved in the sex trade, adults age 18 or over who are coerced or deceived into commercial sex acts, and anyone forced into different forms of “labor or services,” such as domestic workers held in a home, or farm-workers forced to labor against their will. The factors that each of these situations have in common are elements of force, fraud, or coercion that are used to control people. Then, that control is tied to inducing someone into commercial set acts, or labor or services.
Want to Learn More?
- Click on the links above!
- Order Thistle Farm Products! Thistle Farms is a ministry of the Magdalene Community in Nashville, TN that helps women who are survivors of trafficking. Magdalene Community was the 2013 recipient of the Women’s Ministry Convention Offering.
- Farm Worker Partners – Beth-El Farmworker Ministry, National Farm Worker Ministry, Project Vida (these ministries were the 2014 recipients of the Women’s Ministry Convention Offering).
- Presentation Script [PDF] [Word] – presented at the 2012 Convention
- Download full-color Brochure
- 2015 Worship Resource [PDF] [Word]
- Worship Resource [PDF] [Word]
- Awareness/Education Resource [PDF] [Word]
- Ways to Give to Set Them Free
- Resources (Books, Movies, Fair Trade Products, Ecumenical partners, etc. [PDF] [Word]
- The Slave Across the Street, by Theresa Flores, reviewed by Mary Ann Cole
- Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers – reviewed by Mary Ann Cole
National Trafficking Hotline – 1-888-373-7888