One Great Hour of Sharing is an offering that makes the love of Christ real for individuals and communities around the world who suffer the effects of disaster, conflict, or severe economic hardship, and for those who serve them through gifts of money and time. This ecumenical offering was established in 1949 with the goal of joining efforts to alleviate the pain and suffering caused by these situations around the world.
Currently, the One Great Hour of Sharing committee officially comprises eight Christian denominations: American Baptist Churches USA, African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, Church of the Brethren, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), United Church of Christ, and Church World Service. All work in cooperation with Church World Service, the relief, development and refugee assistance arm of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. While there is not a specific project/program each year, OGHS does have four project areas – Water, Hunger, Disaster Relief, and Empowerment.
As we prepare for the 2017 One Great Hour of Sharing offering, let us take time consider how we live out Jesus’ words – “Just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” (Matthew 25:40). When we give through OGHS to those who suffer from natural disasters, war, or systemic poverty, you let them know: You Are Here!
Please plan to receive and dedicate the offering during one Sunday in April! 75% of this offering is sent by the Missions Ministry Team to Church World Service, official sponsor. The remaining 25% will be used in support of ministries of compassion on Cumberland Presbyterian fields of service. In 2016, your OGHS offerings retained by Missions Ministry Team supported the New Hope congregation in Whitwell, TN following a devastating tornado and the Haiti Council of Churches following Hurricane Matthew. Order your materials by completing the below order form. Return it to: Missions Ministry Team, 8207 Traditional Place, Cordova, TN 38016.7414 or email it to Jinger Ellis. The cover letter/order form and a sample of the poster and bulletin insert will be mailed out in early March. You can also download resources below: