Love Makes the World Go Round
The song says that “love makes the world go round” and that is, in fact, the emphasis that Paul has in 1 Corinthians 13. Probably no chapter in the Bible is as well known, but do we really understand what Paul was saying about love?
Paul emphasizes in this chapter the fact that true love seeks only the best for the other. Authentic love becomes the basis for all of our actions. When love is the essence of our being, it is evident in all aspects of our lives.
Paul also says that this love is not just something to sing about or to talk about, it is active and involved. In fact, someone once said that the opposite of love is not hate but apathy. When we love we want to get involved with the one we love, we want the world to know.
Paul concludes this chapter by affirming that love is the greatest of all emotions. A parent recognizes this as they go to whatever lengths necessary to care for a sick child. A spouse recognizes this as life lifts a couple to the highest peaks and slams them to the lowest depths.
—Rev. Terry Maynard
- What does Paul mean in verse 9 of this chapter when he says that “love never fails”?
- Can you cite examples of extraordinary love displayed in the actions of one person for another? What causes such a great love? Is there a time when you felt this kind of love?
- It is said that apathy not hate is the opposite of love. Do you agree or disagree?
- We have been characterized as the “me” generation. How does this attitude of “number one” compare or contrast to Paul’s understanding of love?
How Do I Act?
- Make a list of all of the things Paul says love is. Reflect on this list and add to it things that you think love is.
- Paraphrase this chapter using your experiences and thoughts. Think about the images that you would use to make these words concrete. Share this paraphrase with the pastor as a possible worship resource.
- Ask a group of younger elementary children to draw a picture showing the love one person has for another. Display these in your fellowship hall or educational building. Or you may want to use these pictures for the cover of a bulletin on special Sundays or a special part of the year.
- Discuss with a friend how you both might express love to others in a more positive way. Select one or two of these ways to implement.