First Cumberland Presbyterian (McKeesport, Pennsylvania)
In McKeesport, Pennsylvania, a five-building complex at 521-531 Fifth Ave., which includes the former First Cumberland Presbyterian Church, was sold to the Redevelopment Authority of the City of McKeesport on Sept. 23, 2019, for the nominal cost of $1 for each parcel of four separate lots. The remains of the Cumberland church can be seen on the right side of the photo below. McKeesport First Church was a congregation of Pittsburgh Presbytery, Pennsylvania Synod.
Some time shortly after the partial union of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and the Presbyterian Church (USA), the church building was sold to the George C. Murphy company which operated twelve five-and-10-cent stores around Pittsburgh. The McKeesport store was moved in 1919 to the former church building at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Sheridan Street. The chain’s executive offices were relocated upstairs. As the company grew to include more than 500 stores in 24 states and Washington, D.C., it gradually acquired and connected the five buildings into one large office complex.