Stop and thank God for being present with you today. Ask for God’s guidance as you hear God’s voice through scripture and the writer.
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.
Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain. But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me
“Twinkle, twinkle little Star. How I wonder what you are.”
Science has told us the stars we see in the sky are actually suns many, many miles away.
The Bible tells us about stars on earth. Saints of God, you are the stars, shining brightly to bring others to the light. We illuminate the darkness with our radiance.
In this brief passage, Paul lays out the basic plan for becoming a godly star.
• We first obey. Since Paul himself is an apostle and messenger of Jesus Christ, his writings and instructions are credible and trustworthy.
• We should always strive to learn and grow (work out) more in the Word, the written and figurative WORD. Affirming and developing our salvation, matures us.
• Mature Christians then, are the vessel through which God fulfills his purpose. We have a duty to love our neighbors as ourselves. One of God’s purposes is that all men should come to know his saving grace. It is through our actions toward our neighbors that we achieve this calling.
• When we love our neighbors, we tend to be more kind-hearted. Bitterness, anger, grumbling, and arguing are not by-products of love.
• Finally, we rejoice and are glad. Rejoice with one another, pour out your soul to one another as an offering.
God of Light, shine through me in this warped and crooked generation, that I may be the star you would have me be.
Go with God!