Take Time to Capture Time
Time capsules are fun to make, and even more fun to open years later! A time capsule is a collection of items that describe life as it is right now. Store these items out of sight and mind for a specific length of time. When the specified time has passed, the time capsule is opened and the memories are enjoyed.
Make a time capsule with your family!
Gather these supplies before you start:
- Glass jar with lid or a box – or other such item to use as a container for your time capsule.
- Make a label for the outside of the time capsule that lists the date you put the items in the time capsule and the date you want to open it. Often time capsules are sealed for many years – you can decide to keep your time capsule sealed for 6 months to a year or more. You decide!
Items to Include in Time Capsule:
- Newspaper clippings or headlines cut out
- Photos from family activities during the year
- Photos of the family pets
- Hand print or outline
- Receipt from local grocery store, gas station, or clothing store
- Artwork or drawings
- Family Interview Questions (Each person should write the answers to these questions.)
Family Interview Questions :
- My favorite color _____________.
- My favorite food _____________.
- My favorite song and/or movie _____________.
- A good memory from this week: _____________
- A sad memory from this week: _____________
Place all your items in the time capsule. Put the label on the outside of the container. Find a place in the back of a closet, under a bed, in the basement, or at the back of a drawer to store your time capsule. Now forget about it……and go out and start making new memories!
(This article was originally printed in July 2017 issue of The Cumberland Presbyterian Magazine. Click HERE for subscription information.)